How Funding Works
Stream 1: Individual projects may receive up to $50,000 in funds over a maximum of one year. Cash and in-kind contribution ratio depend on the structure of the project partnerships. The lead applicant for Stream 1 must be a company. Projects under this stream can include a single company, or a partnership between multiple companies, multiple companies with an academic institution as a partner, or a company with an academic institution as a partner.
- An individual company is the lead applicant but collaboration with an academic and/or industry partner(s) is encouraged and may potentially be ranked higher.
- Intellectual Property (IP) arising from the project will be managed by the project participants as OCE does not claim or manage IP rights.
- Typical activities include technology development, demonstration, product validation, etc.
- This program is not intended for research to prove feasibility or basic technology research.
- Participants are encouraged to demonstrate close collaboration and the proposed project should be scalable with a high potential for commercialization.
- For projects without an academic partner, a 1:1 cash match is required from the applicant company.
- For projects with an academic partner, the matching contribution from the applicant company may consist of 50% cash, and 50% in-kind.
- All OCE funds will flow through the lead applicant.
- Applicants and partners must provide project metrics and progress reports to OCE.
- Applicants and partners must be in good financial and reporting standing with OCE.
- Applicants and industry partners that have over $100,000 in active projects must complete those projects (including all final reporting) prior to OCE considering other applications for funding. This excludes TalentEdge internships and fellowships.
- An applicant, that is a company, must be for-profit and have operations in Ontario that are expected to commercialize and/or implement the results of the project in Ontario and for the benefit of Ontario.
- Proposed demonstrations will provide a competitive advantage or other significant benefit.
- OCE funds will cover up to 50% of direct, eligible project costs.
- A company applicant must be an innovation-driven business developing products or services addressing industry challenges.
- Company must have a sound business plan and secure financial backing.
- Eligible partners can be from industry or academic institutions:
- Eligible academic partner must be an Ontario-accredited public post-secondary academic institution (college, university).
- Industry partner(s) must have a presence in Ontario and the operations in Ontario must intend to commercialize the results of the project. The industry partner(s) must be a company with sound business plans and secure financial backing.
- Must be an innovation-driven business developing products or services addressing industry challenges.
- Must be in good financial and reporting standing with OCE.
- Companies that have over $100,000 in active projects must complete those projects (including all final reporting) prior to OCE considering other applications for funding. This excludes TalentEdge internships and fellowships.
Eligible use of funds:
Refer to Eligible Expenses
document for full details
How to Apply
Timelines and Decision-Making Process:
Stream 1 applications may be submitted between August 6, 2015 and October 14, 2015, and will be processed according to OCE’s program guidelines (see Stream #1 Timelines). Please contact your Business Development Manager or Martin Lord to discuss potential applications to this program. To initiate an application contact Application Support and provide your name, address, company name, and phone number, and indicate you are interested in CVAV stream #1. All submitted applications must be accompanied by a completed Schedule D (Intellectual Property Term Sheet).
Applications are reviewed in one stage:
- Applications undergo external peer review by subject matter experts from OCE’s College of Reviewers where applications will be assessed against program objectives and assessment criteria.
- MTO, MEDEI and OCE’s Internal Review Panel will review recommendations from the OCE’s College of Reviewers and are responsible for the final decision.
- Successful applicants and their industry partners must execute OCE’s non-negotiable funding agreement within 30 days of notification of award. A copy of the Funding Agreement can be downloaded for your reference. Please do not fill out this form; a copy of the agreement will be generated through our online management system and sent to you upon approval of your project.
CVAV is a discretionary, non-entitlement program with limited funding. All eligible projects are assessed on their merit and undergo a review process where the applications are assessed against program objectives and assessment criteria.
Stream #1 Timelines
Open Call For Applications launched
August 6, 2015
Submission deadline for applications
October 14, 2015
All Projects Complete
January 1, 2018
Flow of Funds:
OCE funds will be provided to the lead company as follows:
- At the time of the award and completion of agreement the amount of the grant minus a $10,000 holdback will be provided to the lead applicant.
- The holdback will be released upon project completion and receipt of the following: final progress and financial reports, outcomes and attestations regarding the use of funds.
The following project reports will be required:
- Forty-five days prior to the scheduled completion date, the Company and any Project Partners will receive a notification of the project end date from OCE’s MIS system, with a link to the Final Project Report should the Company and any Project Partners wish to begin entering data. If an extension is required, it must be requested from your OCE Business Development Manager at this time.
- On the scheduled project completion date, the Company and any Partner(s) will receive notification and a link to complete a Final Project Report (including progress, financials and metrics) from OCE’s MIS system. Both the Company and Partner(s) reports must be received and approved by OCE within 30 days of project completion.
- When the Company final reports have been approved, the academic institution will be required to complete an attestation of the use of funds to close the project when applicable.
- All required final reports by all partners must be submitted within 30 days of project completion in order to release the holdback, and maintain good financial standing with OCE.
- If the project continues past a fiscal year end (March 31), the Company and any Partner(s) will be required to complete an annual Metrics survey each April, for the part of the project that has been completed since the previous March 31. This annual report is mandatory for OCE to fulfil its contract with the Ministry of Research and Innovation. Required metrics reports from all partners must be submitted in order to maintain good financial standing with OCE.
Two years after project completion, the company will be sent a link to complete a retrospective survey to collect data on commercial outcomes from the project. This information is required by OCE for assessment of program impact and continuous improvement.
For more information on the CVAV program, please contact:
Business Development Manager
For inquiries specifically related to eligibility, contracting and funding disbursements, please contact:
For general inquiries about the online application system and application form, please contact:
OCE Application Support Team