Innovation Procurement Toolkit (IPT)
Innovation procurement is the purchase of new solutions that do not currently exist in the market, or need to be adapted, in order to meet specified needs and create value for the procuring organization.
To assist healthcare service providers in developing competitive procurement processes for innovative solutions, the Innovation Procurement Toolkit (IPT) was developed to include tools, templates, and guidance documents to assist in the development and management of innovation procurement initiatives.
The IPT was created by the Healthcare Supply Chain Network (HSCN) and is now provided by OCE. These initiative aims to provide a dynamic set of documents that respond to procurement needs and will be updated over time.
Toolkit Resources: (Coming Soon)
The IPT has been structured to facilitate the flow of an innovation procurement process from needs assessment, including development of the problem statement, through early market engagement, procurement of the solution and contract award. Guidance documents include:
- IPT Navigation Guide (01): A helpful overview of the tools, templates and guides relevant for each stage of the procurement process.
- IPT Decision-Tree (02): A sample decision making process that can be helpful to guide the development of a procurement plan.
- Early Market Engagement Strategies Guide (03): This guide provides commentary and insight on how to execute the seven early market engagement strategies identified in the Primer (03a). It details strategies to engage the market and gather intelligence in order to inform the procurement process. Guidance is also provided on development of effective problem statements, an essential early step in the process.
- Innovation Procurement Models Guide (04): A Guide that provides insight into the six innovation procurement models detailed in the Primer (04a): providing guidance on when and how to use each of these models. It also discusses considerations, risks and risk mitigation measures in selecting and executing an innovation procurement.
- The Innovation Procurement Models Guide includes references to three other guides that address critical elements of the competitive process. These are:
- Outcome-Based Specifications Guide (05)
- Value-Based Evaluation Criteria Guide (06)
- Total Cost of Ownership Guide (07)
Toolkit Templates: (Coming Soon)
The IPT includes templates that can be used to execute the various stages of an innovation procurement process. These templates are provided in Word format so they can be adapted to suit specific organizational requirements.
Have more questions? If you have any questions regarding the Innovation Procurement Toolkit or the documents included in the toolkit, please Contact Us.